About Me

My photo
I ♥ to ramble on about many aspects of my day-to-day life...why? Because I ♥ my life! And I want to share it with the world! Be happy with me!

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Surrounded by, Dad!!

I came to a funny realization today; that all the important men in my life are comparable to my father. They all have characteristics of dad. Now, my dad is the greatest man of all time. (I’m not just saying that to make him happy either!) He is one-of-a-kind though, and to think that now the significant men in my life all share the same qualities of my unique father figure. They are all loving, devoted, intelligent, stubborn, pig-headed men who always seem to be right. (And they usually are!) There is no arguing with them to change their minds. Once they believe in something, they accept it as the truth and will not budge on their judgment. I’m not saying this to be critical of them, these are very strong characteristics, and make for a powerful personality that no one can ignore. At first sight, these men seem abrasive and self-righteous, but just like my dad, their hearts are pure. They will be the first one to loan you money if you need it, even if you still owe them. They will give you the shirt off their own back to warm you if you are cold, but remind you they told you to bring one. They are always just a phone call away if you are in trouble. And, just like my dad, all of their actions, thoughts, and words are done with a purpose, and the purpose always revolves around family.

My personality, on the other hand, is the complete opposite of them. I’m a listener and I’m compliant. I don’t like fighting or arguments. I "let things go". I owe this, probably, from growing up with my dad. Someone said to me this morning "Fear builds respect." I rolled my eyes at the person and just nodded my head in agreement. I didn’t believe a word of it, but as I didn’t want to cause a disagreement at 8 in the morning, I just let it go. Yet, now I’m thinking back on what the "wise man" counseled me on and, as usual, I think he’s right. As a parent, I believe fear does build respect. I was afraid to do anything wrong when I was a child as I did not want to "deal with the repercussions" of my father. When he was angry, he was fuming. You, or should I say I, learned at a very young age to try to do the right things and be honest and trustworthy, kinda like a boy scout. I respected his feelings, his thoughts, and always tried to do the right things. If I didn’t, it was the "wrath of god" I had to deal with. Did I necessarily know this as a kid? No. I didn’t. But, if it wasn’t for this disciplinary figure, I would not be the person I am today. So now I show my respect. Therefore, it’s no wonder to me, now at the age I am, why I seem to be surrounded by men, great men, similar to my dad. Men that will give you their heart and soul, and expect only a slight interest on its return.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

No comments:

Previous Posts

Followers